Like any dental procedure, there are things you can do prior to root canal treatment to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible. If you’ve already scheduled your procedure with River Valley Endodontics, you’ve already done one important thing. Since he is an endodontist, Dr. Reeh has advanced training and performs root canals all the time. In contrast, most general dentists don’t perform them that often.
If you haven’t yet scheduled your treatment, call us today at 651-370-9498 for a consultation in our Stillwater, MN office.
In addition to working with an endodontist, here are some other ways to get ready for your root canal:
- Inform Yourself – In addition to trusting Dr. Reeh’s expertise, you’ll feel better if you know exactly what to expect. After examining you, he’ll be able to answer all of your questions, including how long it should take and how you’re likely to feel afterward.
- Medicate as Prescribed – If Dr. Reeh prescribes antibiotics before your procedure, make sure you complete the entire course of medication. We may also suggest taking an anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen before and after your root canal to help relieve any discomfort.
- Stop Smoking – Since smoking interferes with how the body heals, it will be best if you stop smoking for at least 24 hours before your procedure and avoid smoking afterward too.
- Ask About Sedation – Dr. Reeh will thoroughly numb your mouth prior to your root canal. Still, if you’re nervous about your treatment or worried about pain, you can receive laughing gas or take an oral sedative. Sedation can also make it easier for you to remain still the entire time. He will help you choose the one that will work best for you.
- Eat Well – Your mouth may feel a bit tender right after your procedure and it’s possible you may have a temporary crown. Because of this, we recommend having some nourishment a few hours before the root canal so you won’t feel uncomfortably hungry before you’re ready to eat again.
- Plan for Your Recovery – Fortunately, recovery from a root canal isn’t too complicated. To ensure it goes as smoothly as possible, check ahead of time to make sure you have supplies you may need: pain relief medication (likely an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen), easy-to-chew foods, and ice (to reduce any swelling or tenderness).
We can help you get ready for your root canal, and we’ll ensure your treatment goes well from start to finish. Call River Valley Endodontics today at 651-370-9498.